Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Knickerbocker



Today's post is a double! I decided to put the pics for the top and bottom sign of The Knickerbocker Hotel. Although it's not a hotel anymore. It used to host a plethora of old Hollywood elite. Check out this link:

Wikipedia

"Built in 1923 by E. M. Frasier in Spanish Colonial style, the hotel catered to the region's nascent film industry. Rudolf Valentino was a regular at the bar before his death in 1926. On Halloween 1936, Harry Houdini's widow held her tenth séance to contact the magician on the roof of the hotel.

The hotel retained its glamor through the 1950s. Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio often met in the hotel bar. Elvis Presley stayed at the hotel while filming Love Me Tender."
taken from above link

The bar was also the film location where Dustin Hoffman met Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate. It's also had it's fair share of tragedies, with various celebrity deaths in the lobby and around the area.....kinda spooky.

And since the 1970's it's been a senior citizen's home. I'm glad to see they still kept the signs up......if you look closely at the top sign, you'll see the the top billboards used to read "hotel" instead of "The"....I assume this changed when it was converted into a retirement home.


G

2 comments:

sanders3d said...

Dude! Long time no see :) So you are into buildings now.....? Interesting buildnings though, I wonder what stories the Hollywood Tower has.

regards
Stefan Andersson

George said...

Hey Stefan!

Good to hear form you! Yeah, since moving out here I decided to take up a new hobby.....especially since these signs are getting torn down more and more everyday. The stories are the most interesting part about these buildings, too! Some you walk past and have no idea what part of Hollywood's history they played. There are some great stories!